IMPORTANT: Update Medical Certificate with DMV

Started by Buzz, February 05, 2014, 01:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

About 20 drivers came in with letters from the DMV telling them they could not drive because their medical certificates were expired. A notice in the window advises that it is our responsibility to send new certificates to the address below if yours is expired. (Expiration date is on the certificate.)

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Buzz

rc1790

Buzz the certificates can be faxed as per the letter to 518-486-4421. The phone number for the dmv medical unit is 518-474-3603.

Buzz

Quote from: rc1790 on February 05, 2014, 04:34:57 AM
Buzz the certificates can be faxed as per the letter to 518-486-4421. The phone number for the dmv medical unit is 518-474-3603.

They didn't give a fax number in the link above. Thanks for the info. In that case, I'll have to find out if the office will be willing to fax them for drivers. (It would seem to me this could be done routinely every time you hand in a new one.)

Buzz

Spoke to Ernie this morning. They called about this yesterday and were told the problem is they get so many faxes during business hours that they can't reload paper in the machine fast enough. A couple of guys told me they were successful in faxing them at night. They were unsympathetic and said its the drivers responsibility to get the forms to them ... one way or another.

If you got a letter, see Ernie and he'll try faxing it for you.

hideout

If you forgot to send in your medical certificate to the DMV medical unit or are running short on time you can take care of it in person at any DMV. The only thing is, if you do it in person, there is a $12 fee. I did it this way a month ago. Hope this helps.

Buzz

I'm not clear on how far in advance you have to supply this updated certificate. If we're talking a few weeks, then it's a few weeks earlier every year that you have to see Quackuafredda ... or whoever you go to.

Whaddaya mean, "turn on the light?"

Buzz

A driver asked me how someone would know if an updated medical certificate has been received. If you got a letter saying that you can't drive, and submitted an updated certificate, I would guess you would receive a notification by mail that you've been reinstated, but I don't know that for sure. Whether that is the case, or if you're just due for a medical and are sending it in, there is one sure way to find out.

You must sign up for MyDMV at https://my.dmv.ny.gov/CRM/index.cfm . Create an account. When you log in, click on "My License Status, Renewal and Replacement" and you will see the expiration date of the most recent certificate they have on file, plus all other information about your license.

BTW, The DMV says to submit new medical certificates at least 2 weeks before your old one expires!

Buzz

I was posting the same information at the same time you were, but was interrupted by a phone call. I Found the info online. I merged your post under this topic.

Quote from: rc1790 on February 06, 2014, 05:06:07 PM
Buzz, If the status shows no CDL driving are we able to drive?

I'm sure if you couldn't the office would have told you by now.

rc1790

I received this email response. It should help to clarify the letters received.

We are unable to confirm if certificates are being received because there are thousands being sent in daily.
As the certificates are being received they are being posted to the driver license record within 10-15 business days.
You can still continue to drive commercially, until the date of the downgrade of your license, as long as you carry your valid medical examiner's certificate on you.
It is in your best interest to verify that your documentation is posted to your license record prior to the date of the downgrade mentioned in your letter that was sent to you.
Drivers can check their own status on line using our MyDMV service at the following link  https://my.dmv.ny.gov/CRM/. You must register for a MyDMV account to use this service.
Thank you,
Medical Certification Unit