Hylan Blvd Speed Cameras ..

Started by Golfnut, January 17, 2014, 07:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Didn't buy it when it was reported several months ago and I don't buy it now ... not that they're not coming, but neither of the things above the traffic light in this video is a speed camera. The upside-down little dome thing is a surveillance camera and the long rectangular thing is an e-z pass reader, supposedly to monitor traffic patterns. These are the only things I've seen along Hylan Blvd. so far. No speed cameras, no flash units. The article that was in the Advance a day or two ago (link below) said the city has 6 cameras right now ... and 5 of them are on Hylan Blvd? I don't think so ... not yet, but there will be some eventually.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/01/speed_cameras_to_take_effect_a.html
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Golfnut

Makes sense to me Buzz. I remember one of our elected officials saying that they weren't speed cameras but we should still err on the side of caution...

yabba

i noticed the one near shoprite now flashing now while the light is green,could it have been switched to a speed camera not a redlight camera.. the camera pictured above is that bus lane camera if i understand them right the city actually has a human body watching that camera in a office somewhere who records the plate number of the car violating the bus lane...so like buzz stated its basically a survalance camera no way a speed... p.s. i cant spell...lol.

PROUD MEMBER

Really guys does it make a difference if they are speed cameras or not. Obey the traffic laws and it doesn't make a difference what they are. Just like when you here over the radio "There's Radar on the West Shore" or "There a squad car at c/o AK and Bloomingdale". I understand we are looking out for each other but we are PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS. If a parent of a 5 year old who rides your bus and was to read this or was picking up their child at a stop & heard someone coming over the radio what would they think. I remember during the strike how Michael & all of us stood on our record with regards to Safety. Driving within the speed limit, stopping for red lights, having children sit in their seats are all things that come naturally as a Professional School Bus Driver and in my opinion even if it were needed to be discussed it should be discussed amongst ourselves and not over the air or on the internet. Don't get me wrong I'm NOT SAYING that anyone speeds or goes through red lights. But to a parent who is not a bus driver that's what is portrayed. Don't forget we're trying to get the EPP reinstated based on Safety among other things.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on January 18, 2014, 03:49:44 PM
Really guys does it make a difference if they are speed cameras or not. Obey the traffic laws and it doesn't make a difference what they are. Just like when you here over the radio "There's Radar on the West Shore" or "There a squad car at c/o AK and Bloomingdale". I understand we are looking out for each other but we are PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS. If a parent of a 5 year old who rides your bus and was to read this or was picking up their child at a stop & heard someone coming over the radio what would they think. I remember during the strike how Michael & all of us stood on our record with regards to Safety. Driving within the speed limit, stopping for red lights, having children sit in their seats are all things that come naturally as a Professional School Bus Driver and in my opinion even if it were needed to be discussed it should be discussed amongst ourselves and not over the air or on the internet. Don't get me wrong I'm NOT SAYING that anyone speeds or goes through red lights. But to a parent who is not a bus driver that's what is portrayed. Don't forget we're trying to get the EPP reinstated based on Safety among other things.

Man, you analyze the shit out of everything! LOL! I was commenting on the accuracy of the news report, not advocating for speeding. Certainly you are correct, we are, and should drive, like professionals ... no doubt.

(Of course when I'm in my own vehicle ... or driving empty back to the yard ... all bets are off! ... I joke ... I JOKE!!)
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.