NYS Taxing Unemployment

Started by Buzz, April 08, 2021, 01:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Just had my taxes done, the earliest appointment I could get with my guy though it was made early in January. Anyway, he said the state just decided 2 days ago that it WILL tax all unemployment benefits although the fed is not charging on the first $10,000. Fucking Cuomo! (Turned out it was good that I couldn't get an earlier appointment because the account said he will have to have other people who it affected come back and do their returns again.)

I did ask him about the stimulus. They were basing it on the last return you filed. If you did not have 2020 filed when it was distributed they will supposedly refer back to your 2020 return at some later date to determine eligibility.

Being the threshold for the current stimulus is 75K, I wasn't eligible. However ... to my surprise ... I was entitled to $900 from the the Trump 2020 rebate for which I was not eligible when it was based on my 2019 earnings. The threshold for that one 98K which I made less than in 2020, but had made more than in 2019 (a lot of O.T. that year :))).

I'll take it!  ;D

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.