Summer School?

Started by Buzz, March 13, 2021, 04:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

TheKid24

Sorta thought they would given how far kids are behind and if schools were open in the winter why not the summer. How does summer pick work if there is? I assume top to bottom and after they run out of runs the rest of us go on UI?

PROUD MEMBER

Top to bottom and if there are still runs left (which hasn't happened in years) then it goes from the bottom -up. Meaning the least seniority is forced to work which could possibly happen this summer (if there is summer school). Reason being many senior drivers that usually work in the summer will op to NOT work because of the extra $300 unemployment for a total of $804 total unemployment.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on March 13, 2021, 11:15:32 PM
Reason being many senior drivers that usually work in the summer will op to NOT work because of the extra $300 unemployment for a total of $804 total unemployment.

Will that still be in effect then? I'm not up on the new stimmy being it doesn't apply ... except for UI.

Deegboy33

Teachers don't want to work now because of COVID .I doubt they'll work this summer.  It's too Hot ,No air circulation, Jlo broke up with A-Rod, etc.I can see the DOE offering the kids online learning options. It should  be interesting.

PROUD MEMBER

Under the new stimulus package the extra $300 unemployment will be in effect from March 14th until September 6th.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on March 14, 2021, 01:40:41 PM
Under the new stimulus package the extra $300 unemployment will be in effect from March 14th until September 6th.

Buzz

Did I hear correctly that eligibility is being determined by the latest filed tax return? Unfortunately I didn't file for 2020 yet so they'll go by 2019 which means zero for me.

Couldn't get an appointment with my regular tax guy until early April. Had I known the new rule in advance, I'd have gone some place else.  :'( :'( :'(

Buzz

Well here's some good news ... the first $10,200 of UI won't be taxed. I have it deducted so it will be refunded. So that's something.  ;D

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-bill-provides-tax-waiver-on-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-benefits.html

TheKid24

Quote from: Buzz on March 14, 2021, 02:30:29 PM
Well here's some good news ... the first $10,200 of UI won't be taxed. I have it deducted so it will be refunded. So that's something.  ;D

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-bill-provides-tax-waiver-on-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-benefits.html

Federal passed that, State hasn't yet. If they don't then we likely will owe the state my guy said yesterday and he's holding off on officially doing my stuff till the 15th. He said the IRS computer program hasn't been updated yet for the new law that went into effect BUT we need state to pass it as well

hognol

A bipartisan band of City Council members is demanding Mayor de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Meisha Porter create an OPTIONAL summer school program for New York City kids whose academic lives have been upended by pandemic-related school closures.

The key word is "optional"     I don't see many parents sending their kids to summer school, but who knows?

Buzz

Quote from: TheKid24 on March 14, 2021, 02:56:30 PM
Federal passed that, State hasn't yet. If they don't then we likely will owe the state my guy said yesterday and he's holding off on officially doing my stuff till the 15th. He said the IRS computer program hasn't been updated yet for the new law that went into effect BUT we need state to pass it as well

The fed won't tax it's share (up to 10,200). What the state does with it's share is a separate issue.

Buzz

Quote from: hognol on March 14, 2021, 03:09:28 PM
The key word is "optional"     I don't see many parents sending their kids to summer school, but who knows?

I agree. I think this year has taken a great emotional toll on the kids as it is. Summer school would only make it worse and not worth what little academic benefit it might have ... if any.

We'll have to see what the UFT decides ... not de Blasio.  ;D

hideout

The extra $300 unemployment are we eligible or do you have to be unemployed because of Covid and not because of Lack of Work? Anyone know?

PROUD MEMBER

My opinion - Summer School will be open for in school and remote just like it is now )unless there is a 3rd wave of the virus) otherwise it wouldn't make sense that schools are open now.

faceit

Quote from: hideout on March 14, 2021, 08:55:45 PM
   The extra $300 unemployment are we eligible or do you have to be unemployed because of Covid and not because of Lack of Work? Anyone know?

Everyone gets it
All lives matter