ATU1181: COVID-19 Sick Pay

Started by Buzz, November 11, 2020, 06:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

WigWag16

Soooo does anyone know what it says in this contract "IF" the schools go to full remote? Do they have the money to pay us at 85-100 percent for the rest of the year or they gonna cut us loose again back on unemployment with no benefits again

Buzz

I doubt anyone has the answer to that regarding the pay, but I'm under the impression that part of the 43% the owners will get out if busing is halted is to pay for our coverage ... though no one has come out and said so specifically.

PROUD MEMBER

Unfortunately in my opinion it appears that public schools in Staten Island may follow the Catholic schools. It only makes sense. If that were to happen do we still get paid because I would assume that Neil has one contract with the city and still will be getting paid because his runs in the other boroughs  would still be active. Either way if public schools throughout the City close down completely or if they were to just close down on Staten Island I would think that the Union already has the answer about our pay and/or benefits. I would also appreciate if Michael would come out as soon as possible (like tomorrow) with the answer to that before God forbid it happens!

PROUD MEMBER

I read that as of this morning the City's 7 day positivity rate is 2.2 and yesterday's rate alone was 2.9.
Still not near a 3% 7 day rolling average as the Mayor or 5% as the Governor has set as a mark to close down schools. Getting back to the pay/benefits question, it is what it is but if the all the public schools do close down again or even just all the SI public schools I would appreciate an answer before it happens. We already went through this in March/April so obviously before we came back in September the DOE, Owners and the Union already have the answer (Neil & others aren't going to get f***** twice as I hope neither will we). I ask because unfortunately many of my doctor's appointments were canceled at the height of the Pandemic and I have 3 alone scheduled for December. Couldn't get any earlier.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on November 12, 2020, 04:25:47 AM
If that were to happen do we still get paid because I would assume that Neil has one contract with the city and still will be getting paid because his runs in the other boroughs  would still be active.

But he gets paid by the run. If runs don't go out, he doesn't get paid for them.

PROUD MEMBER

One other thing. If I read the letter that Micheal put out November 10th correctly, it states that if an employee has to quarantine for 14 days that that employee will get paid for that 14 days. It doesn't specify if it's just that employees route that he covers or if all the public schools are closed. Which would lead me to believe - example- that if they close school down on November 30th that no matter what we would get paid for the first 14 days of December even though we did not physically work one day in December.
Obviously this post and my last two posts are meant for Micheal and Ernie. We all want to know what our status is if the worst case scenario happens. Again obviously I am not going to be able to get Micheal on the phone and if I did call Ernie he would answer if not immediately but within a day or so but I'm sure he's working hard and is getting a 100 phone calls a day. So 'm putting out here so he could get together with Micheal and the Board and come back with an answer. Plus I always like to keep Buzz on his toes!!!

PROUD MEMBER

If you say he gets paid by the run I'll take your word for it but are you telling me that when all public schools are closed and only the Jewish and/or Catholic schools are open that he doesn't get paid for the public school runs? It's a little hard to believe because I would assume at Pioneer in Staten Island alone that 65% of us are on a 39 guaranteed week pay in which we get paid and our benefits and pension gets paid into even if the run doesn't go out!

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on November 12, 2020, 10:46:39 AM
If you say he gets paid by the run I'll take your word for it but are you telling me that when all public schools are closed and only the Jewish and/or Catholic schools are open that he doesn't get paid for the public school runs? It's a little hard to believe because I would assume at Pioneer in Staten Island alone that 65% of us are on a 39 guaranteed week pay in which we get paid and our benefits and pension gets paid into even if the run doesn't go out!

When public schools are closed each of the other runs that go out are individually reported and that is what he gets paid for on that day ... even though those who have only public schools get paid. (They take this into consideration when making contracts, I'm sure.)

PROUD MEMBER

With this "second wave" many of us are concerned as we should be with the "what if this or what if that ?" Things such as pay, pension, health benefits, one school closed or all schools closed, 39 guaranteed weeks (if that even means anything anymore), if you have to shape or not, what's Neil's contract with the DOE says, what our contract with Neil says, sick or quarantine time that is outside the contract and a whole list of other things.
I understand that on March 13 when we were furloughed that it was unprecedented due to the Pandemic. I also understand that that caused a lot of confusion and chaos for all involved. I also understand that 6 months later when we went back to work on September 14th that Neil definitely had an ironclad contract or deal with the DOE as far as all scenarios may go. He's a businessman and he's not going to allow something to happen to him twice. I would also hope that at the same time our union reps had also covered all scenarios. Tomorrow will be exactly 8 months since we got furloughed and 2 months since we returned to work. In my opinion there should be no reason why we do not know exactly what will happen to us if the worst comes about or even less than the worse. We should know about any and all scenarios and shouldn't have to be on this site (which is appreciated) asking questions. I would hope the Union already has the answers to all of these questions, first and foremost with regards to pay, pension and HEALTH BENEFITS!!!! We shouldn't have to fish around asking questions or have to wait until the shit hits the fan. Michael should just put out a letter telling us right now what would happen if the worst comes to be! This comment is in no way meant to be taken as bad mouthing Michael and our Board. I completely understand that they've been working their ass off over the last few months. These are legitimate concerns of all of us that need to be answered NOW not later!

Buzz

Wow, a lot of questions!

I'm pretty sure we've learned that "39 weeks" is out the window if schools are closed for any length of time.

If your school(s) are closed for an entire week, yes, you have to shape if requested. If you're sent on a run, you do not get extra money. However, if you did your run part of the week and then your school closes and are then told to do another run, you get an extra 4 hours. If you are told to do a different run in the pm than in the am, you get 8 hours extra. If you were hired from 2013 on, you do not get extra pay in either case.

As far as pay and benefits if schools close, the union cannot make any guarantees as to what the contractors will do. The belief is that we would go on unemployment and keep our benefits but it's not written in stone and the union cannot make a blanket statement to anything of that nature as they are as much at the mercy of the unpredictability of the contractors as we are.

I know we all want definitive answers. There are none.

PROUD MEMBER

"The BELIEF is that we would go on unemployment and keep our benefits"
Just exactly where did and who stated this "Belief"?
And what brought this person(s) to state that Belief?

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on November 12, 2020, 06:27:19 PM
"The BELIEF is that we would go on unemployment and keep our benefits"
Just exactly where did and who stated this "Belief"?
And what brought this person(s) to state that Belief?

Nobody is going to put their name on it. Their memory is all to fresh about the backlash they got when we were on strike and were told we'd have benefits for 3 months, and you know what happened there. That's all I can tell you.

PROUD MEMBER

Ok
I understand that the DOE and the contractors can go back on their word or apparently now a days their contract. I just want to know exactly what those contracts or agreements say. Listen this is not unprecedented it just happened to us eight months ago so there has to be some kind of "belief" if that's what you wanna call it. My biggest concern is our health benefits and if it comes to all schools closing down I want to know what is said should happen whether or not it does happen. Isn't that part of being a Union Member? Eight months ago I was told that I was putting the cart before the horse and when the cart passed the horse, shit hit the fan for all of us. I'm starting to stress with the "thought" of public schools closing and feel that we as Union Members should be formally told what as per contract, law or agreement will happen. If the schools do close and what was agreed upon doesn't happen I'm not going to blame Michael or anyone else.

Buzz

That's all I got, Bud. Suggest you contact your union rep. I don't know that his answer would be any more to your satisfaction, but that's all I can tell you.

PROUD MEMBER