No More Regular Ed?

Started by Buzz, July 11, 2020, 09:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yabba

what the hell kind of contract did the bosses sign... we were led to believe it was a 5 year deal with the city....  this isnt adding up..

Buzz

Quote from: yabba on July 13, 2020, 11:20:05 AM
what the hell kind of contract did the bosses sign... we were led to believe it was a 5 year deal with the city....  this isnt adding up..

Well, runs get cut ... and often added back ... almost every fall. I don't think it guarantees any contractor a minimum number of runs so whether they cut 20 or 200 it's not breaking the contract. They're still paying "X" amount of dollars per run. This is just my opinion.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Buzz

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

yabba

Quote from: Buzz on July 13, 2020, 12:22:50 PM
Quote from: yabba on July 13, 2020, 11:20:05 AM

Well, runs get cut ... and often added back ... almost every fall. I don't think it guarantees any contractor a minimum number of runs so whether they cut 20 or 200 it's not breaking the contract. They're still paying "X" amount of dollars per run. This is just my opinion.

i would think with regualr ed the bosses would want a gauranteed number...they buy new buses and have a note to pay for 5 years they always claimed.... but then  in all my years i never remember a regular run being cut...biggest add was petridges going to normal hours from the 10am in time..30 plus runs if i remember right...so maybe the bosses  took it for granted

PROUD MEMBER

It was on channel 5 news this morning 7/16/20. Again they are talking about the possibility of getting rid of General Ed buses. Be proactive and contact your local politicians.

PROUD MEMBER

Also I forgot to mention that Borelli was on the broadcast and is obviously dead against it. TV exposure may be a good thing for us because if the DOE is really thinking about doing away with Gen Ed more parents will find out about it and get on board.

Hammer2161

If the country and the people want some kind of normalcy back in our every day lives including returning to work and our children back to school then the busing of those children will have to happen. Parents count on US to do our job every day so that they can work to provide for their families. We need to be prepared to go back both mentally as well as physically because we will be a very essential part of school starting back up. I for one will be ready and I am hopeful that my brothers and sisters will as well. "WE NEED OUR JOBS AND THE PUBLIC NEEDS US TO DO OUR JOBS". In the end it truly is that simple.

PROUD MEMBER

I spoke with Ernie and he told me that himself, Micheal and the Reps are doing everything in their power to find out about the General Ed situation and at this time the Mayor's Office is not replying. He said as soon as he has something to tell us he will let us now. I appreciate that but I for one will still do everything that is in my power to make sure that this does not happen because once it happens we will never get it back.
So again today I called:

Councilwoman Debbie Rose
718-556-7370
Congressman Max Rose
718-667-3313
Councilman Joe Borelli
718-984-5151
Attorney General Letitia James
800-771-7755
Mayor's Office
311 or text 311-692

So again I ask my Brothers & Sisters to pick up the phone. Even if you have 40 years on the job and this will not affect you which it will anyway because of your pension think of your younger Brothers & Sisters with less seniority. Besides yourself tell friends & family to pick up the phone. Listen, I don't know how true this story is or is not but I for one am not willing to wait because God forbid it happens it will be to late to start making phone calls. It's a simple thing to do and it may just help to save your livelihood and needs of your family.
Debbie Rose, Max Rose & Joe Borelli's Offices were very responsive and interested.
Letitia James Office the mailbox was full.
I texted the Mayor's Office and asked if the story was true and was told they had no information as of now but I could leave a comment for City Hall which I did. I did not say that I was a bus driver but I did state that it would be unheard of if the Mayor got rid of General Ed school busing and that it would affect a 100,000 children, many minority and it would affect thousands of school bus employees.
Also Borelli's Office did say that they have already reached out to the Mayor's Office and as Ernie stated they are unresponsive! Besides the above mentioned there are numerous other council members and politicians that you can call.

driver

We are considered essential  workers...Access a ride is out there with masks & gloves..I for one am worried about the general ed....a loss of that many runs could become a master pick..Look at Reliant..the city was backing the drivers...now they sure would not....so who would pick up all of their work?????  I placed my phone calls....and left messages.. Also With general ed runs...they add special ed kids at times so I guess there would be alot of buses...

PROUD MEMBER

I do not think we are considered essential workers. I researched school transportation in NYC and it clearly states that it is up to the parents to get their children to and from school. School busing at least for General Ed is a curiosity or privilege (for lack of a better words) that has been afforded for decades but not guaranteed.

WigWag16

Quote from: driver on July 17, 2020, 12:06:02 AM
We are considered essential  workers...Access a ride is out there with masks & gloves..I for one am worried about the general ed....a loss of that many runs could become a master pick..Look at Reliant..the city was backing the drivers...now they sure would not....so who would pick up all of their work?????  I placed my phone calls....and left messages.. Also With general ed runs...they add special ed kids at times so I guess there would be alot of buses...

I was in jersey the other day and saw an empty small school bus on the road, driver was wearing a mask. Let's all stop assuming off what an article said and see what is said and done the first week of August. No need to go crazy until you hear official decisions from people that matter. Also did people forget we drove packed buses before the virus was made public and after it was made public. We need to return to work and use common sense along with the protocols

PROUD MEMBER

If you wait to hear an official decision that you're out of a job, guess what? You're out of a job!

PROUD MEMBER

Afternoon Brothers & Sisters
As I'm sure you all know I've been on these websites worried about if this Gen Ed story is true or not and just in case I've been contacting whoever I think may be able to help. Twenty minutes ago I made my last call. I contacted Al Sharpton's office and advised them of the situation and asked them to inquire with the Mayor's Office and if true for their help. I'm done, there's no more that I can do. Again I ask you to do the same. Don't wait, true or not true it can't hurt to ask for help. That's what being part of a Union is, to look out for yourself your family and your Union Brothers and Sisters.

Enjoy the rest of ur summer

Proud Member

OMG

Thanks PM. I too have made phone calls and sent out emails. Some fell flat, for some I had to leave messages, others said "they're looking into it ".  On a personal level, I can't see how all the General Ed kids can be left behind. When you think about it, general Ed kids are the safest And easiest to transport. I really don't think it's going to pan out with leaving general Ed kids behind.

Fed Up

What kind of world do we live in when we have to call Sharpton‘s office for help  OMG :perplexed: